Jesus. Family. Neighbor. Be prepared to love well.

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

CoVid-19, Thinking Outside the Box, and Stewardship

Well friends. 
 I started writing a Facebook post and realized that it was really more of a blog post than a simple FB post. 
 I started this blog over 8 years ago, and with little ones underfoot it didn't last long. 7 posts and 9 drafts to be exact. 
 So let me take just a couple of moments and give you a little background as to why I'm even writing this post. In case you didn't know, we spent a few of our first years of marriage pretty deeply immersed in "prepping." FYI- Google defines prepping as "the practice of making active preparations for a possible catastrophic disaster or emergency, typically by stockpiling food, ammunition, and other supplies." 
We felt that it was our duty to be prepared for whatever may come- including catastrophic events, and even something like CoVid-19- not just for ourselves, but so that we could love our neighbors and be prepared to share generously. We learned how to garden, can, purify water, hunt and butcher on the kitchen table, dehydrate and store food, live on less, and know how to survive "off-grid" WSHTF (that's prepper lingo for "When Shit Hits The Fan"). We often felt like people thought we were at best a little silly, maybe a little crazy, at worst fearful and not trusting God for the future. 

 We have lots of verses in the Bible that tell us to be prepared. The verse from which I took the name for this blog is a great one. And Proverbs 31 tells us all about the Wife of Noble Character: 
11 Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. 
12 She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. 
14 She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. 
15 She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls. 
16 She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. 
17 She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. 
18 She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. 19 In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers. 
20 She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. 
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. 
22 She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. 
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. 
24 She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes. 
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. 
26 She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. 
27 She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. 
 Proverbs 31:11-27 

     Let me stop right here, and say that I have never taken this passage in Proverbs to mean that we all need to be preppers and learn every skill known to manor woman. Nor do I look down on friends who, for whatever reason, life path, or choice find themselves at a loss when it comes to "old fashioned" skills that some of us take for granted- cooking, sewing, canning, whatever. If you've never had the need or training for those skills, or the time or inclination to improve upon them- that is OKAY. I would definitely not consider myself an expert at any of those things. Alright, cooking maybe, but the others I would say "passable." 

      But as a Stay At Home Mom of two kids who had yet to start homeschooling, I took these things to heart, and felt that I should use my free time to learn as many skills as possible, whether they would be used to provide for my family and neighbors, or on the eventual mission field. It was always with the intention of helping others however possible (never with the intent of being out of community with others) and with the expectation that we would willingly and gratefully receive help from them as well. 

      Over time we moved away from that life style. Maybe we were trusting God more, or maybe we felt like we had enough and got tired of trying to keep up with our rotation of stuff to be used- FIFO (first in first out) style. Whatever the cause, we kept most of our stuff, but gave up our one time dream of living on a hobby farm in favor of living in town where we could be in community with people. 

    These days we definitely don't count ourselves as preppers, but we still carry with us the lessons we've learned. I count myself a steward of the skills I have, not so that I can keep them to myself and hole up in case of emergency, but so that I can serve Jesus and my community- my people. 
If you've read this far, that means you. 

    I pray that this whole Coronavirus thing blows over quickly, but my instincts tell me it might not be as easy as we all hope. So, for the time being, since I find myself with considerably more free time on my hands (I'm not working till my restaurant opens again,) I'll be sharing with you some of the things I've learned and some possible solutions to the practical concerns people are sharing. I'm not here just to show you how much I know. Of course there are holes in my knowledge- I readily admit that. But if I can help any of you in a practical way, I will count the hours invested in learning as being worth it. Please stay tuned over the next few days. I'll hopefully be posting at least once a day- maybe more. 

Blessings and health to you all, 

 Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment