Jesus. Family. Neighbor. Be prepared to love well.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Is canning season over yet?

So, my best of intentions had been to post on here often.  Obviously that didn't work out so well for me. We did so much canning in the past month and a half that I have no clue just how much we actually put up. Sufficed to say, Andrew had to build me a new shelf to hold it all. Yay for the need of a new shelf, and yay for my handy husband!  And now that the veggie/fruit canning is almost over,  get to prepare for hunting season! The plan this year is for me to go hunting for the first time and bring back a deer.  We shall see. I have no real problem with shooting  the thing, it's just the gutting it out that brings my gag reflex. I'm just trying to envision how cool I'll look in camo and blue latex gloves.  hmmm... I wonder if they make camo latex... I digress. For most people the hunting process ends when they drop the animal off for processing, but that's not so much the case in the Strong home.  For some reason we process our own. However, I'm hoping that this year we will take the burger to be processed. The steaks, roasts, and chops I don't mind handling.  And after that we plan to can a lot of burger and stew meat.  yum.  Hopefully this means I'll have less cooking to do in the winter.  :) Until that time, however, I plan to relax a bit and enjoy the "not canning" vibe floating through my house. 

Hopefully tomorrow will be a productive day for me and I'll be able to post something a little more pertinent. Especially in light of the unrest growing around us.

Peace to you all, in Jesus.



3 comments:

  1. You can come use our grinder Jennie. Free is always best. And if you take it to a processor they will weigh it, and dump it with all the burger meat, then give you your weight back. Since you never know the quality of that other meat I shudder to think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jayne- that would be fantastic! Plus, we'd get to hang out with you!
    We ground most of our own last year using a hand crank grinder, (which was horrid) as well as my high capacity food processor. The food processor was "ok" but the consistency is just weird.
    We had briefly talked about buying a grinder, but just couldn't justify the expense.
    THANKS!

    ReplyDelete