Jesus. Family. Neighbor. Be prepared to love well.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Why I Prepare: Part 1

Well, I started this post over a month ago, and I'm just finally getting around to posting it. I'm sure there are more to follow along the same vein.

Thank you Ellen for suggesting a topic!


Over the past few years I have eased into preparedness slowly. When my husband first started telling me about all the steps his father and grandfather had taken to prepare their homes for the unforeseen, I completely blew him off. I'm sure I tried to be polite, but in my head I was thinking "Oh man.  I married into a bunch of militia member wannabes".  I had never really been introduced to the "preparedness community". To me it just sounded like a bunch of weirdos in the mountains who stockpiled guns and I wanted nothing to do with it. But the more I learned about it, the more I came to realize that the things the people in this community are doing are the same things my grandparents were doing when I was a kid.  Frugality. Living off the land (to one extent or another). Preserving the harvest. Re-purposing items. Helping neighbors. Caring for family. While many in the preparedness community (as many like to refer to themselves) are non religious, there are a great many people who are and see their choosing to be prepared as a way to minister and reach-out to their neighbors.

I have to stop here and clarify something that I was recently made aware of. I think that oftentimes when people hear the phrase "Christian Preparedness" the image that comes to their minds is that of some sort of sect preparing for the Tribulation. Please let me clarify that this is in no way what I mean when I say Christian Preparedness. The reason I put those two words together is because as a Christian I see the logical wisdom behind being prepared for unforeseen events such as floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, job loss, or any other catastrophic event. I really came to the conclusion that it was wise to prepare before I came to the realization that it was biblical as well. I had been talking to my cousin about the need to prepare for the potential of economic collapse. (Which, by the way, I do think is not impossible in this day and age.) She told me that she felt that God would take care of her and that she should just trust God. I highly respect her willingness and desire to trust God- this is something I strive for in my own life.  However, I have to respectfully disagree with her line of reasoning. It rather reminds me of the man in the middle of the flood who was stuck his roof waiting for God to save him. After turning down help from two passing boats, and even a helicopter, he went to heaven and questioned God as to why God did not save him from the raging flood. As the worn out punchline goes- "I sent you two boats and a helicopter. What more did you want?" God has given us the ability to help ourselves and our neighbors and be (even the slightest bit) prepared, and the vast majority of us choose to gamble with our safety and ability to help our neighbor in times of need and then question "Where was God, why didn't he keep us safe?!"

Here's a simple analogy. Do you wear your seat belt? Do you put your kids in car seats? Do you call the power company before you dig holes in your yard?  If you have little kids, do you put covers on your electrical outlets? Do you have car insurance? Life, medical, dental, vision insurance? These are just a few of the many ways that we prepare every day to keep ourselves and our families safe.

While I have not examined the entire website I've referenced below, and cannot give it a full recommendation, the author manages to present a brief yet interesting list of biblical examples of preparedness as well as a good list of physical reasons to prepare.


Below I have included a great excerpt from Mark12ministries.com
Outline: Here is a proposed outline for the study of Christian Preparedness/ Survivalism-
I. A Biblical Study of Preparedness
1. Bible passages that teach preparing for the future and for disaster (Noah in Gen.6-9 is a good case study)
2. Spiritual themes like Keeping our eyes on Jesus, not on building bigger barns for the wrong reasons.
3. When to flee (Lot leaving Sodom) and when to fight (Esther)
4. A biblical case for hoarding and defending from the book of Judges?
5. Working hard, providing for your family and saving for the future, a biblical view.
6. Why did Jesus’ disciples carry swords?
7. Eschatology and Christian Preparedness- will we be raptured outta here prior to things getting “really bad”? Or will we be like Israel, Judah and 2000 yrs. of church history and go through a time of great suffering?
II. Types of Disasters To Prepare For at the personal, family, church and neighborhood level

1. Small Inconvenient Disasters- flat tires, cell phone dies, weather changes, etc. From common sense to witnessing opportunities, practicing the Golden Rule and 2nd Greatest Commandment.
2. Medical Emergencies- First Aid and CPR Training, First Aid kits, calling 911.
3. “Normal” minor disasters- power outages due to storms, water pipes freezing, house and car fires.
4. Major Natural Disasters- Tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, earthquakes
5. Self-defense issues
6. Civil disturbances- crime prevention to riots
7. Political Oppression and Persecution (It’s coming to America!)
8. The End Of The World As We Know It scenarios (TEOTWAWKI)- Electrical Grid total failure, EMP blast, Nuclear War, Plague, Asteroid strike, Mega Volcano, etc.

It is currently a quarter till *really late*. I have several other thoughts buzzing around my head ( I know that is desperately hard for some of you to imagine) but I've found that falling asleep with one's forehead on the keyboard is not generally the best way to type a coherent sentence.
I'll try to finish tomorrow...  good night!

1 comment:

  1. You make a good point about God taking care of us. I remember as a child, there was a particular family of ORU graduate students who had several children. Despite having difficulty providing for their kids, they too refused all help as God would provide for them. The teachers of these children ended up forging the parents signature in order to get the kids qualified for the free lunch program so they could eat. The teachers would send the children home in additional clothing. When neighbors offered to give the kids clothing we were denied because "God provides".
    God does provide, but I think often the provision comes BEFORE the need is obvious. Recently I received some unexpected income. The following 2 months have been filled with several trips to the doctor (post-surgery checkups), medication, and dietary needs. The financial blessing was used to meet the needs that came later.
    To me, that is what you are doing with the idea of preparing. You are taking what God has given you and putting them aside for a time of need. To not do so is wasteful of what is provided for you.
    Perhaps some people are confusing having faith in God to provide with being a good steward of what He has already provided. Perhaps they confuse the act of preparing with a heart that does not trust in God.

    ReplyDelete